Thread: Blocking ads in apps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Blocking ads in apps

Hi there everyone,

On my windows machine, I use Adguard to route Spotify traffic through which works to block ads. I can't, however, seem to find a similar application that works the same for my linux installs. Could someone point out what I could use to block ad traffic in non-browsers on the OS?

Thanks for your time!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Blocking ads in apps

For spotify: https://github.com/Nuzair46/SpotX-Linux

I use a VPN that handles the rest.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks very much for that, unfortunately it results in a completely blank UI in Spotify after install (.deb version of Spotify, hiding podcasts enabled). Running the uninstall did not restore the application so removal of Spotify was necessary.

Seems to be a current issue. Perhaps Spotify application has changed something in the last year after the last X update.

https://github.com/Nuzair46/SpotX-Linux/issues/49
    Last edited by schwim-dandy; 1 Week Ago at 05:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm using a Flatpak version for spotify, with no issues, (See Screenshot)

Also there are some optional arguments that can be used>>Optional Install Arguments:
    Code:
    -c Clear app cache -- use if UI-related patches aren't working
    -e Experimental features -- enables experimental features
    -E Exclude feature -- disables specified feature(s) [currently disabled]
    -f Force patch -- forces re-patching if backup detected
    -h Hide podcasts, episodes and audiobooks on home screen
    -o Old UI -- skips forced 'new UI' patch
    -P Path directory -- manually set Spotify directory if not found in PATH
    -p Premium subscription setup -- use if premium subscriber
    Use any combination of flags.
    The following example clears app cache, adds experimental features and uses the new UI (if supported):
    Code:
    bash <(curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SpotX-CLI/SpotX-Linux/main/install.sh) -cesed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1fallen; 1 Week Ago at 05:37 PM. Reason: Fix Tags
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Flatpak can't find the spotify client.

Error: Error pulling from repo: While pulling app/com.spotify.Client/x86_64/stable from remote flathub: Opening content object 2d60843887c1ead209184c44b63cc9fa530d84ae7256eacd5f 653ff5b6eb27e6: Opening content object 2d60843887c1ead209184c44b63cc9fa530d84ae7256eacd5f 653ff5b6eb27e6: Couldn't find file object '2d60843887c1ead209184c44b63cc9fa530d84ae7256eacd5 f653ff5b6eb27e6'
    error: Failed to install com.spotify.Client: Error pulling from repo: While pulling app/com.spotify.Client/x86_64/stable from remote flathub: Opening content object 2d60843887c1ead209184c44b63cc9fa530d84ae7256eacd5f 653ff5b6eb27e6: Opening content object 2d60843887c1ead209184c44b63cc9fa530d84ae7256eacd5f 653ff5b6eb27e6: Couldn't find file object '2d60843887c1ead209184c44b63cc9fa530d84ae7256eacd5 f653ff5b6eb27e6'
    Power of linux and all that. I'll try again later and use the Windows client since it just works in that environment for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmm is flatpak installed?
    Code:
    flatpak list | grep com.spotify.Client
    Spotify	com.spotify.Client	1.2.31.1205.g4d59ad7c	stable	flathub	system
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schwim-dandy View Post
    Thanks very much for that, unfortunately it results in a completely blank UI in Spotify after install (.deb version of Spotify, hiding podcasts enabled). Running the uninstall did not restore the application so removal of Spotify was necessary.

Seems to be a current issue. Perhaps Spotify application has changed something in the last year after the last X update.
    Try out the alternative repo listed in the issue. The main contributor moved to that repo to continue work.

It is shame AdGuard does not make Linux client. AdGuard DNS filtering is alternative maybe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah that worked fantastic! Thanks for pointing out the repo!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I do and waiting a few hours resolved the issue. Everything I could find about that type of error said just to wait a while for the servers where the app data resides to sort themselves out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ahh Good Job! And that's interesting you had to wait.
    Any Who Enjoy
    Dalai Lama>>